⛴️ self-guided itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
New Zealand's Waiheke Island is the ultimate island retreat. You’ll feel another world away, and yet Waiheke is just a 35-minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland City. Known as the island of wine for its many wineries and vineyards, a wine tasting or tour is a must. Enjoy a day trip or find accommodation and stay longer to really enjoy some of the fantastic activities on offer.
Highlights can include:
- the hub of Waiheke Island is delightful Oneroa Village, offering numerous interesting specialty shops, cinema, art gallery, cafes, bars and restaurants all with wonderful views of Oneroa Bay 🛍️
- Waiheke Island of Wine is known for its Bordeaux-style blends but has branched out and recently is known for award wining Syrahs 🍷
- Wine Connoisseur’s can indulge in their passion for fine wine in an exclusive tour where you'll taste a selection of premium wines and learn about them from the winemaker 🍇
- the gorgeous white sands of Onetangi Beach make this a popular swimming option for locals and visitors alike 🐚
- a unique relaxed low impact way of seeing the island is by SegWai - and one of their offroad segway journeys
- perfect for adventure and nature lovers, EcoZip Adventures offer flying-fox ziplines and a stunning eco-immersive forest walk 🌱
- Wild on Waiheke combines archery, laser claybird shooting with a restaurant and brewery all set within a boutique vineyard 🎯🍷🍺
- The Sculpture Park at Connells Bay showcases New Zealand artists, a place where art and nature are united to create special spaces 🎨
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors5.5
🐚 Beaches 6.0
🌦️ Chance of Rain3.5
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun3.0
🍽️ Food + Wine 7.5
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of Dronepacking on YouTube
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive on Waiheke Island
The majority of visitors will arrive via Matiatia Wharf at the western end on the passenger ferry from downtown Auckland City, or Devonport. We'll arrange transport to get you to your accommodation. A few may want to arrive via car ferry, which means you'll travel to Kennedy Point on the mid-south of the Island, and depart from Halfmoon Bay. And you also can elect to arrive by helicopter if you wish.
Upon arrival you'll check in to your Waiheke Island accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 2 nights.
The afternoon of your arrival, you'll have time to ease yourself into a new timezone if you've just arrived. Take a stroll along the local beach, visit sleepy Oneroa Village and most importantly, feel yourself adopt the relaxed holiday vibe that you'll feel all around you.
After dark, we'll offer suggestions on the best places to dine including options in Oneroa Village and our pick of the best vineyard restaurants dotted around the island.
Day 2 : views, vines and wines
After a morning walk along your nearby beach, and a leisurely breakfast, you'll be collected for a day of divine wines and jaw-dropping scenery with an expert guide to answer all of your questions in a small group tour.
You'll visit three vineyards which vary based on a variety of factors including numbers, weather forecast and season. As a prerequisite, we'll ensure the vineyards you visit must have local Waiheke Wines available to taste.
Between each vineyard you'll be treated to scenery and stunning vistas and learn about the early history and island life today.
You'll then enjoy lunch at your choice of restaurant, before continuing on to your afternoon where you'll take to the skies with EcoZip Adventures. Their unique ziplines will have you fly side-by-side on an exceptional shared experience for over 200 metres each time. You'll then explore New Zealand's native forest home to a diverse range of flora and fauna. Expert guides will share the Maori legend of the mother and father of the forest along with conservation tips helping to restore this beautiful environment.
You'll have time for a visit to Onetangi Beach that afternoon, before venturing back to your accommodation.
Tonight, we'll arrange dinner to celebrate your last night on Waiheke Island at one of our favourite restaurants.
Day 3 : Depart Waiheke Island
Enjoy breakfast taking in the views over the sea, before you depart the island. We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.