TOP OF THE NORTH
🚗 self-drive itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
Famous for icons like 90 Mile Beach, Cape Reinga and the clear sparkling waters of Doubtless Bay, surfers will aspire to visit Ahipara, which boasts one of the best left hand surf breaks in the world. The spectacular Whangaroa Harbour and Matauri Bay offer beautiful bays that encircle the surrounding coastline. A great place to spend some time during your visit to New Zealand.
Highlights can include:
- sandboarding the dunes of Ninety Mile Beach
- see the Tasman Sea collide with the Pacific Ocean at Cape Reinga Lighthouse
- enjoy the surf beach of Ahipara + Shipwreck Bay 🏄
- beach hop to the best spots around Doubtless Bay 🏖️
- enjoy a short hike around Whangaroa Harbour 👟
- Whangaroa also offers a great opportunity to join a fishing trip 🎣
- learn more about the region atTe Ahu which is a cinema, museum, library and visitor information centre all in one
- view huge kauri logs that were part of a ancient buried forest at Gumdiggers Park
- explore the edges of huge, shallow Parengarenga Harbour - the pure quartz sand is dazzling
- visit the white Silica sands of Rarawa Beach
- if golf is your thing, you're spoilt for choice with two championship golf courses Kauri Cliffs and Carrington in the area 🏌️
- Estate Winery is a favourite for wine lovers 🍷
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors 4.0
🐚 Beaches 7.5
🌦️ Chance of Rain 3.5
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun 2.5
🛒 Shopping 3.0
🍽️ Food + Wine 5.0
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of devinsupertramp on YouTube
TOP OF THE NORTH
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive in the Top of the North
You'll travel to the Top of the North, either by car, coach, or by flying into Kaitaia. Upon arrival you'll check in to your accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 3 nights.
That afternoon enjoy your nearest beach, preferably with some fish and chips for dinner!
Day 2 : Cape Reinga, Giant Sand Dunes + 90 Mile Beach
Traverse along the almost never-ending paradise that is 90 Mile Beach, before arriving to the northwesternmost tip of New Zealand's North Island, where two oceans collide and much photographed lighthouse. You'll see "the place of leaping", where Maori spirits begin their final journey. You'll also have the opportunity to try sandboarding (see video) which is bound to be a highlight for both those participating and their spectators.
Day 3 : Golf? Surf? Hike? Go fishing? Relax at the beach? You choose!
Today's plans are up to you! We'll provide plenty of options for you to decide from: beach-hop your way to our favourite Matai Bay; Ahipara's left-hand break is popular with surfies; Carrington's Championship Golf Course is unmissable for keen golfers and wine connoisseur; or beautiful Whangaroa Harbour is great for both those looking to try their hand at fishing and for those seeking a great vantage points for great views over the harbour on a short walk/hike.
After your day, we've arranged for you to delight in dinner and celebrate your last night in this region at one of our favourite restaurants in the area.
Day 4 : Depart the Top of the North
We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.