🚗 self-drive itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
Situated in the volcanic heart of the North Island, the Lake Taupo region is home to New Zealand's largest fresh water lake, where you can visit fascinating geothermal areas and the famous Huka Falls.
Highlights can include:
- you have to see thundering Huka Falls, an 11-metre high waterfall that’s considered to be the most visited and photographed natural attraction in New Zealand 📸
- for unique water-level views of the Huka Falls, nothing gets you closer than the thrill provided by Hukafalls Jet, taking you right to the base of the mighty force
- dedicated to the production of New Zealand fresh water prawns, and pure family fun, Huka Prawn Park offers cool and quirky activities for all ages and tasty prawns fresh to the plate 🍤👨👩👦👦
- experience awesome views at a relaxed pace from Huka Falls River Cruise, a purpose built riverboat, with comfortable inside seating to take in New Zealand's highest volume waterfall 🛥️
- explore New Zealand's only geothermal cave at Orakei Korako, and explore the stunning silica terraces as you walk around natural phenomena 🌋👟
- set in a magical, art filled garden, complete with an outside mosaic living room L'Arte Café, Gallery + Garden combines a visual feast complemented by an edible treat from the café 🎨☕
- take a virtual ride down NZ's most scenic rivers, plunge off waterfalls and feel the rush from running the rapids - all from the comfort of your special effects chair at the Rafting NZ 6D Adventure Cinema 🎞️👨👩👦👦
- jet boat white water rapids with Rapids Jet and shoot through the narrow canyon on crystal clear waters, surf the pressure waves of Nga Awa Purua Rapids and hold on for the spins! 🌊
- thousands of litres of rushing water creates a spectacle at Aratiatia Rapids, a unique display of man vs nature - water is released from the Aratiatia Dam down through the Aratiatia Rapids 3 times daily 🌊
- glide by kayak over Lake Taupo’s crystal clear waters as you paddle to the awe-inspiring Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay - this extraordinary artwork towering 14-metres above the deep water 🛶
- take the wheel, help hoist the sails or just sit back and enjoy the view as you sail Lake Taupo aboard a classic sailing yacht - Sail Barbary's two electric yachts offer eco-friendly fun and adventure ⛵
- Taupo Floatplane offer a Peek at the Lake, taking in the main sights of the region from a bird's eye view, before landing again on the waters of Lake Taupo 🛩️
- New Zealand's highest water touch bungy jump, Taupo Bungy is the North Island's most popular bungy jump set high above a scenic bend in the Waikato River 📸
- a geothermal walkway with a lunar landscape including bubbling craters, steam vents and colourful soils can be found at the Craters of the Moon 🌋👟
- accompanied by expert Tandem Instructors, jump out of an aircraft from up to 15,000ft and into an incredible freefall over the world’s most scenic dropzone with Skydive Taupo🛩️
manoeuvre through narrow crevasses of The Squeeze and emerge in the thermal waters of a naturally heated bathing pool, combined with all the thrills, excitement, speed and spins of with NZ RiverJet ♨️
Tongariro River Rafting provides some of the best all year-round white water rafting and family float adventures with Go-Pro cameras on board to capture all the thrills and spills 🌊
enjoy a nature walk along the river at Tongariro National Trout Centre, the world of wild trout - feed the fish, visit the aquarium and watch the whio 👨👩👦👦🐟🎣
- usually reserved for the professionals, experience the thrill of driving a single seater racecar at Taupo Motorsport Park - aim for the Leaderboard 🏎️🏁
- gain insight into the fascinating world of glass blowing at Lava Glass - a gallery, studio, sculpture garden and cafe complex 🎨
- bathe in a series of hot thermal pools rich in minerals, situated below magnificent silica terraces at Wairakei Terraces Walkway + Thermal Pools 👟♨️
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors 6.5
🐚 Beaches 1.5
🌦️ Chance of Rain 3.5
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun 6.5
🛒 Shopping 4.5
🍽️ Food + Wine 7.0
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of Great Lake Taupo, NZ on Facebook
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive in Lake Taupo
You'll travel to this region either by car, coach, or by flying into Taupo's Airport. Upon arrival you'll check in to your accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 2 nights.
That afternoon take to the lake, jumping into either by kayak or onto a sailboat and make your way to the Maori Rock Carvings at Mine Bay. Or get a bird's eye view over the entire region on a flight with Taupo Floatplane. Another idea would be to see if you can pluck up the courage at Taupo Bungyand jump the highest water-touch bungy in New Zealand in this picturesque setting - brilliant to see even for spectators.
Lake Taupo won't disappoint when it comes to food, with plenty of great options available, and plenty of surprises if you're looking for some international cuisine too.
Day 2 : #LOVETAUPO
Take a walk lakeside and get your day started in the right way with a bit of excercise, ensuring you snap a photo for social media with the #LOVETAUPO sign.
Venture to the Huka Fallsand time it right to view the Aratiatia Rapidstoo, before jumping aboard the New Zealand RiverJetand enjoying The Squeeze, an insane mix of speed, fun and hot springs in a natural environment.
That afternoon, continue on to the beautiful Orakei Korakohidden valley where you'll be amazed by the colours, cave and geothermal activity that are in stark contrast to the bush and river surrounding it. Alternatively, it might be time to jump out of a plane from up to 15,000ft in the sky with Skydive Taupoin one of the best places in the world to skydive.
Whatever you've ended up doing with your day, we've arranged for you to delight in dinner and celebrate your last night in this region at one of our favourite restaurants in the area.
Day 3 : Depart Lake Taupo
Before you leave the region, dare yourself to cliff jump at Bulli Point, view trout up close at the Tongariro National Trout Centreor explore the creative world of L'Arte Caféand have an amazing coffee to keep you alert for your travels. We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.