KAPITI COAST + PORIRUA
🚗 self-drive itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
Northwest of Wellington City is the Kapiti Coast, where you can enjoy golden beaches and a gourmet lifestyle. Travel to Kapiti Island Nature Reserve, which sits just off the coastline and is one of New Zealand's leading conservation islands.
Highlights can include:
- get your engine revving at Southward Car Museum a comprehensive privately owned collection of veteran and vintage cars 🚘
- have a hands on experience and discover our native flora and fauna at the idyllic bird sanctuary Nga Manu Nature Reserve 🦉👨👩👦👦
- picturesque Otaki Forks offers a number of short tracks that descend into the gorge or day walks into the Tararua Ranges 👟
- visit Kapiti Island for a day tour, or truly experience all the island has to offer with the chance of seeing Kiwi in their natural habitat on an overnight stay 🌲
- Pātaka Art+ Museum is a place of inspiration - enjoy the latest exhibition of contemporary art, take part in an art class, and explore local history 🖼️
- the Tuatara Brewery Tasting Room is a casual, relaxed place for beer connoisseurs to taste a fresh range of beer 🍺
- Kapiti Heliworx offers scenic flights by helicopter is the best way to view the local scenery including Kapiti Island and the Tararuas 🚁
- get up close and personal with policing methods of the past, present and future at the New Zealand Police Museum 🚓👮🚨
- drive up a long windy hill to get to Paekakariki Hill Road Lookout, but it’s worth it - the views of the ocean are breathtaking 📸
- iconic boatsheds on the Camborne Walkway and Whitireia Park are just two great walks in Porirua Harbour and Pautahanui Inlet 👟
- nestled amongst pine trees with fantastic views of the Porirua Harbour Adrenalin Forest's high wire obstacle course will challenge you 🌲
- catch the train to Pukerua Bay and hike the Paekakariki Escarpment Trail, also known as the Stairway to Heaven, finishing off at Paekakariki village, the perfect place to re-fuel at a local café or try Kapiti Ice Cream 🍦👟
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors 2.5
🐚 Beaches 4.5
🌦️ Chance of Rain 3.5
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun 4.5
🛒 Shopping 6.0
🍽️ Food + Wine 3.0
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of Te Araroa on YouTube
KAPITI COAST + PORIRUA
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive in the Kapiti Coast + Porirua
You'll travel to this region by car, coach, train or by flying into Paraparaumu. Upon arrival you'll check in to your accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 2 nights.
Check out the impressive collection of over 450 vehicles at the Southward Car Museum and finish your day by grabbing a pint of award-winning brews at the Tuatara Brewery Tasting Room where you can also grab a bite to eat and rub shoulders with local brewers carrying out "quality control" on their own product.
Day 2 : sightseeing and natural experience at its best
Today, you'll visit one of New Zealand's most accessible nature reserves, Kapiti Island, a tranquil island bird sanctuary. Here you can learn of the unique balance of conservation, ecology and local human history Kapiti offers.
Expect to encounter some of our most beautiful and endangered birds with experienced nature guides that explain the rich human and ecological history, and help you identify the flora and fauna around you as you walk.
Alternatively, the Stairway to Heaven, better known as the Paekakariki Escarpment Trail offers 'heavenly' views as you walk the rugged 10km coastal track. You'll be high above the shoreline, challenging yourself with swing bridges and staircases, finding yourself lingering at points taking in the views, while catching your breath. Start at Pukerua Bay train station, and walk towards Paekakariki village - that way you have an excuse to "re-fuel" while sampling something delicious from one of the local cafes.
After your day, we've arranged for you to delight in dinner and celebrate your last night in this region at one of our favourite restaurants in the area.
Day 3 : Depart Kapiti Coast + Porirua
On your way out of the region, take in the views from Paekakariki Hill Road Lookout or take a morning stroll past the iconic Camborne Boatsheds along the shores of Pauatahanui Inlet before continuing on to your next adventure. We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.