GISBORNE + EASTLAND
🚗 self-drive itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
Travel to New Zealand's Gisborne and Eastland region and you'll be in awe with the landscape – coastal and inland – which is untamed and wild. You can lose yourself in the hills and valleys, and renew your inner peace on the beautifully natural beaches.
Highlights can include:
- enjoy the thrill of Rere Rockslide, a 200-foot long natural slide made slick by moss covered rocks 💧💦😅
- explore the Te Urewera National Park which features enchanting Lake Waikaremoana with its remote beaches, spectacular waterfalls and lush green rainforest 👟📸
- soak in gorgeous Morere Hot Springs and relax in dense virgin rainforest in this rare spring that produces an astounding 250,000 litres a day of hot ancient sea water ♨️
- count the steps leading up to East Cape Lighthouse and admire the views over East Island from the most eastern point of New Zealand 👟📸🌅
- visit Opotiki's excellent museum with its interesting heritage displays of Maori taonga (treasures), re-created shopfronts and the delightful general store Shalfoon & Francis 🔍
- join Dive Tatapouri's Reef Ecology Tour to observe and interact with the local inhabitants, and even feed wild stingrays 🐚
- catch a wave at Wainui Beach, world famous for the consistency and quality of surf and popular for any one wanting to enjoy a day at this beautiful white sand beach 🌊🏄🐚
- walk the length of Tolaga Bay Wharf which extends 660 metres offshore into deep waters, a popular spot for fishing, or venture along Cooks Cove Walkway for a birds eye view above 👟🎣
- if you're travelling through Gisborne during Autumn, be sure to visit Eastwoodhill Arboretum, regarded as the largest and most comprehensive collection of Northern Hemisphere trees south of the equator featuring exotic and native trees, shrubs and plenty of space for recreation 🌳🌸
cycle up an appetite with Cycle Gisborne and their bespoke tours around the region featuring food, wine and a lot of fun 🚴
sample delicious Chardonnay, the dominant wine variety of the Gisborne Wine Region, or try a distinctive Gewürztraminer while you enjoy delicious vineyard meal and meet the winemakers 🍷
- St Mary's Church in Tikitiki is one of the finest Maori churches in New Zealand with a spectacular interior showcasing Maori carvings and designs and a striking stained-glass window ⛪
- experience the thrill of surfing with Walking on Water Surf School and take away some surf photography action shots of you surfing - there is nothing like riding a wave for the first time! 🏄🏄♀️
- take an easy ride on the Gisborne Railbike Adventure, a unique tandem cycle that allows you to pedal side-by-side along the actual rails
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors3.0
🐚 Beaches 7.0
🌦️ Chance of Rain3.0
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun2.5
🍽️ Food + Wine 4.0
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of devinsupertramp on YouTube
GISBORNE + EASTLAND
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive in Gisborne + Eastland
You'll travel to Gisborne + Eastland, arriving either by car, coach, or by flying into Napier Airport. Upon arrival into the the region you'll check in to your accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 2 nights.
The journey here itself is impressive, no matter which direction you come from. State Highway 2 will take you through the mighty Waioeka Gorge; State Highway 35takes in miles upon miles of gorgeous coves, bays and coastline via East Cape; mainly loose gravel SH38 will take you via visually breathtaking Te Urewera National Parkand impressive Lake Waikaremoana; and your trip from the south can take you to Mahia Peninsulaor have you relaxing enroute at the Morere Hot Springs.
No matter which interesting journey you choose to take, the tiny settlements and towns are filled with colourful characters and you might at times feel like you've stepped back in time, and you'll find no shortage of ways to break up your journey.
Day 2 : a full day in Gisborne + Eastland
A drawcard for many thanks to viral videos out there are the Rere Rockslideswhich can be a lot of fun when the conditions are right. Combine your time here with a wander through Eastwoodhill Arboretum especially if you're visiting in Autumn.
Alternatively, take the opportunity to learn to surf at world famous Wainui Beachwith a private lesson from Walking on Water Surf School; or head a little further up the coast to meet the local sealife with Dive Tatapouri's reef ecology tour which gives you the chance to hand-feed wild stingray.
Then later head to Cooks Cove Walkwayand walk along the clifftops to get views over impressive Tolaga Bay Wharf. Or go from winery to winery with Cycle Gisborne.
Whatever you've ended up doing with your day though, we'll arrange dinner tonight for you to celebrate awesome food, local chardonnay and your last night in this region at one of our favourite restaurants in the area.
Day 3 : Depart Gisborne + Eastland
This morning, journey a different road to the next part of your holiday, taking in all the sights and sounds as you go. We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.