EASTERN BAY OF PLENTY
🚗 self-drive itinerary
🛏️ minimum 2 night stay recommended
🍽️ dining suggestions offered
📅 visit any time of year
Visit one of New Zealand's live volcanoes, native forests, white sand beaches, tasty fish, friendly people. Blessed with abundant sunshine, Whakatane and the Eastern Bay of Plenty offers a coastal paradise you'll never forget.
Highlights can include:
- from October through to February each year visitors can take the opportunity to enjoy delicious freshly picked or pick-your-own berries at Julian’s Berry Farm & Cafe 🍓
- cruise by boat, or go on a heli-adventure to White Island also known as Whakaari and explore the moon-like surface of New Zealand's most active volcano 🌋
- Mataatua - "The House That Came Home"is an impressive fully carved Maori ancestral house that travelled the world for over a century before returning home to Whakatane
- venture to Otarawairere Bay a secluded beach only accessible by foot or by kayak, and definitely worth the effort 🐚
- travel along a piece of New Zealand's rich rail history and experience the natural beauty and adventure from the comfort of a rail-cart with Awakeri Rail Adventures
- abundant sunshine, warm waters and safe swimming make Ohope Beach the perfect summer holiday destination - often voted as New Zealand's most loved beach 🌊
- play 18 holes of golf on Ohope's beautiful, yet challenging links course at Ohope International Golf Club 🏌️
- bordered by the Whakatane River on one side and bush-clad cliffs on the other, the major historic and scenic features of the town are included in the interesting and easy Whakatane River Walk 🚶
- on a sunny day in Whakatane, you'll want to take advantage of Kohi Point Walkway with fantastic views of the coast line and White Island 👟
- for an inland adventure pick up a permit in Kawerau, and head for the Tarawera Falls an impressive waterfall that surges through fissures in a high cliff face
- the striking bronze statue of Wairaka "the Lady on the Rock"will command your attention and is bound to have you curious about the legend behind it
AT A GLANCE
📍 # of Visitors 3.5
🐚 Beaches 7.5
🌦️ Chance of Rain 3.0
👨👩👦👦 Family Fun 2.5
🛒 Shopping 4.0
🍽️ Food + Wine 4.0
🏳️🌈 LGBTQI+ friendly 👍
Note: the highest possible score is an 8.0
🎥video courtesy of Whakatane i-SITE Visitor Information Centre on YouTube
EASTERN BAY OF PLENTY
Sit back and relax. We've planned it all for you.
Day 1 : Arrive in the Eastern Bay of Plenty
You'll travel to the Eastern Bay of Plenty, either by car, coach, or by flying into Whakatane. Upon arrival you'll check in to your accommodation, settle in and get acquainted with your surroundings for the next 2 nights.
That afternoon get an overview of the town by strolling along the Whakatane River Walk and take in scenic highlights like Wairaka, the Lady on the Rock and if you have time Mataatua, the house that came home to learn more about New Zealand's unique Maori culture. If the weather is particularly impressive, and you want a way to get out some pent up energy, challenge yourself to the Kohi Point Walkway for impressive views.
Later that evening we can suggest places to eat, you could self-cater, or why not slip on some jandals, get some Kiwi-style fish and chips wrapped in newspaper and take them down to beautiful Ohope Beach.
Day 2 : explore New Zealand's most active volcano - White Island
Today's adventure might just be the highlight of your entire visit to New Zealand. White Island, also known as Whakaari, is New Zealand's most active volcano. Reaching the volcano by either boat, or helicopter, you'll arrive directly into the crater complex, as the majority of this volcano sits beneath the sea. You'll be able to get up close to roaring steam vents, bubbling pits of mud, hot volcanic streams and the amazing lake of steaming acid. The vivid hues of yellow and orange resulting from the abundant sulphur on the island make it a photographer’s dream.
If you've selected to tour by helicopter you'll also have time to visit the beach often voted as New Zealand's best, Ohope Beach. If its low tide, challenge yourself to find secluded Otarawairere Bay and time it right you might have the entire beach to yourself!
After your day, we've arranged for you to delight in dinner and celebrate your last night in this region at one of our favourite restaurants in the area.
Day 3 : Depart the Eastern Bay of Plenty
Depending on the direction you're travelling, you could break up your journey via a short detour to see impressive Tarawera Falls. We'll let you know the best way to get from this region to the next part of your New Zealand trip, wherever you want that to be.